Battelle and its affiliate, Battelle Ecology, Inc. manages and operates the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) project, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology, the observatory’s scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms and collect soil and water data. Once structures are completed, a leading edge cyberinfrastructure will calibrate, store and publish this information. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
The Senior Metrology Technician provides support by testing and maintaining Calibration and Validation (CVAL) fixtures and supporting test instrumentation. The primary duties include providing support for the outdoor calibration laboratory, which involves sensor installation, sensor maintenance, site maintenance, and spiking, filling and assaying compressed gas cylinders. Other duties include maintaining and operating calibration fixtures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Outdoor metrology facility operations including sensor install/uninstall, sensor maintenance, site maintenance, gas cylinder filling and compressor maintenance. These tasks will require manual labor.
• Gas cylinder spiking, filling and assaying with coordination to ensure stock maintains for field deployable cylinder designations.
• Fabricate and check-out calibration fixtures for mechanical and electrical assemblies, using mechanical fasteners, machining, metal forming, fixtures, soldering, PCBAs, cabling, power supplies, and lab test equipment.
• Fabricate, verify functionality of, and checkout calibration fixtures, and mechanical and electrical assemblies.
• Troubleshoot and repair calibration fixtures and auxiliary equipment.
• Follow NEON laboratory and site-specific environmental protection requirements, policy and procedures.
• Order and install equipment related to fixtures, assemblies and instrumentation, and maintain stock of regularly used materials and supplies.
• Assist in the storage, shipping and tracking of calibrated sensors.
• Document procedures for the testing of calibration fixtures, assemblies and instrumentation.
REQUIRED: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• High School Diploma
• 3 years of relevant experience or equivalent education/training
• Ability to drive company vehicles
• Laboratory equipment calibration and maintenance experience
• Proven experience with troubleshooting and repair pressurized components and pressurized systems
• Proven experience with troubleshooting and repair power systems, digital and analog circuits to the component level
• Ability to read and understand schematics, product design and fabrication documentation.
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Demonstrated strong organizational and multitasking skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Self-directed and motivated with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Ability to do manual labor outdoors in the field under all type of weather conditions
• Ability to lift 60 pounds
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Background in safety, quality assurance, and best engineering and laboratory practices
• Experience in production product design, development and manufacturing.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and LabView
• Research and/or laboratory sample processing experience
• Experience with high pressure compressors
Must possess a current and valid State issued driver’s license with insurable Department of Motor vehicle record (parking violations, minor driving offenses excluded) as determined by Battelle Ecology Inc.’s insurance provider.
Must have permanent authorization for US employment. Battelle Ecology, Inc. will not provide any kind of visa sponsorship.
This position offers competitive total rewards including 401(k), health, vision and dental insurance, paid time off and the opportunity to work at an organization with a great mission.
Battelle Ecology, Inc. provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle Ecology, Inc