Dept Head/Professor EAPS
The College of Science at Purdue University invites applications for Head of the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences (EAPS). We seek a highly accomplished scholar and visionary leader who is dedicated to promoting scholarly and teaching excellence in an interdisciplinary department.
Key responsibilities of the Department Head include:
- providing leadership to support existing preeminent research programs and launch new high-impact growth areas;
- leading efforts to attract, mentor, and retain high-achieving faculty;
- fostering an inclusive environment;
- preparing students to become scientific leaders;
- managing substantial budgets;
- advocating on behalf of the Department’s mission to internal and external stakeholders, including cultivating long-term
- relationships with our alumni and fundraising;
- enhancing the continuing efforts of our University and College to build interdisciplinary programs.
EAPS at Purdue
Purdue EAPS is a vibrant and rapidly growing community of researchers with diverse interests. EAPS is an interdisciplinary department with almost 40 faculty in five major areas: Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, Environmental Geoscience, Geology and Geophysics, Planetary Science, and the Geodata Science Initiative. The department houses world-class analytical laboratories, including clean rooms associated with TIMS and ICP-MS instruments, a noble gas mass spectrometry facility, stable isotope laboratory, and access to campus-wide AMS, XRD, XRF, and electron microscopy facilities. New incoming faculty will expand our capabilities to include studies of magnetic fields, experimental petrology, and the origin of life on Earth. Further information about the Department can be found at https://www.eaps.purdue.edu/ and additional materials are available upon request.
EAPS is part of the College of Science, which comprises the physical, computing, and life sciences at Purdue. It is the second-largest college at Purdue with over 350 faculty and more than 6000 undergraduate students. Current major initiatives in the College include Purdue Computes, Physical AI, and the Integrative Data Science Initiative. Purdue itself is one of the nation’s leading land-grant universities, with an enrollment of over 50,000 students primarily focused on STEM subjects. The Purdue Institute for a Sustainable Future promotes transdisciplinary efforts in sustainability research across campus units. Purdue is an international leader in human and robotic space exploration, and directly collaborates with major aerospace entities through the Cislunar Initiative. Purdue is a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance and a member of the Association of American Universities.
The successful candidate will have (1) a Ph.D. in Earth, Atmospheric, or Planetary Sciences or a related discipline, (2) qualifications for appointment at the rank of full professor with tenure at an AAU university, including a distinguished scholarly record and evidence of excellent teaching, and (3) evidence of effective prior leadership in an academic setting.
A review of applications will begin on March 1, 2024, and continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date for the position is as early as August 2024. Applicants should submit the following documents to this site:
– a cover letter (1-2 pages), including an overview of the applicant’s research program and teaching experience;
– names, affiliations, telephone numbers, and e-mail for three references (initial nominations and inquiries will be kept confidential; references will be contacted only upon advancement of the applicant);
– a statement of the applicant’s vision for Purdue EAPS and administrative philosophy (maximum 5 pages), emphasizing their ability to provide leadership in research, teaching, and service; and their ability to foster faculty, staff, and student development;
– a complete curriculum vitae.
Nominations of outstanding potential candidates are welcomed. Applications, nominations, and inquiries should be addressed to: Prof. Ken Ridgway and Prof. Briony Horgan, Co-Chairs of the Search Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). A background check is also required for employment in this position.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.